A True Beginners Course - Learn to Quilt!
Beginners Block Evolution Series
Class Fee: $250.00 (Sale $225.00)
Start/End Date: January 3 - April 27, 2024
Time: See Class Schedule
Instructor: Lisa Baker
Skill Level: Beginner
Request: All attendees are respectfully asked to refrain from wearing perfumes and scented lotions/oils due to allergy and olfactory sensitivities of some students and instructors.
Course Description: Beginners Block Evolution Series is a course designed for the true quilting/sewing beginner. Each class offers a new, progressive skill building technique fast-tracking your way to quilting. The only pre-requisite for this course is to have a working knowledge of your sewing machine with the ability to troubleshoot it yourself and the ability to sew a simple straight stitch.
The Beginners Block Evolution Series is also attractive for the new(ish) to intermediate beginner quilter who wants to up-level their skills and learn additional techniques.
The course is comprised of 9 total class sessions. Each class is a stand-alone session. You may choose to use quality mix-n-match fabric for each class just to learn the technique. However, to truly gain the skills and learn them with precision you may want to consider creating the Block Evolution Sampler Quilt as this will allow for repetition and mastery of the techniques. During each session we will focus on a new skill/block.
You will have two weeks between sessions to practice and perfect the newly learned skill/block allowing you to complete a new quilt top row. Using this method allows you to complete an entire quilt top at the end of the 9 classes.
If you desire to complete the Block Evolution Sampler: Friendship Stars Quilt, please keep this in mind when selecting fabric for the final look of the project (sample of the quilt is temporarily hanging in the shop). Most of the classes will be every other Wednesday (the final class meets on a Saturday) – this will allow you two weeks to practice your newly learned techniques before moving on to the next higher-skilled technique. Also, if you are making the quilt, you will have that time to complete all blocks in that row before the next session.
Class Outline and Schedule:
- Block Evolution Series 01 – The Quilting Basics/4 Patch: January 3, 2024 – 10 AM – 2 PM
- Block Evolution Series 02 – Half Square Triangles: January 17, 2024 – 10 AM - 1 PM
- Block Evolution Series 03 – Friendship Star/9-Patch/1/2 Sq Triangles: January 31, 2024 - 10 AM - 1 PM
- Block Evolution Series 04 – Quarter Square Triangles (QST): February 7, 2024 - 10 AM - NOON
- Block Evolution Series 05 – Ohio Star/9-Patch/QST: February 21, 2024 - 10 AM - NOON
- Block Evolution Series 06 – Ribbon Block/ ½ Sq ¼ Triangles/Color Placement: March 6, 2024 - 10 AM - NOON
- Block Evolution Series 07 – Twin Star/9-Patch/ ½ Sq ¼ Triangles: March 20, 2024 - 10 AM - NOON
- Block Evolution Series 08 – Spinning Friendship Star/All Techniques plus Stitch-N-Flip: April 3, 2024 - 10 AM – 2 PM
- Block Evolution Series 09 – Borders and Backing: April 27, 2024 - 11 AM – 1 PM
Introduction: The first class, Block Evolution Series 01 – The Quilting Basics/4 Patch, will begin on January 3, 2024. In the first session, we will build skills as we create a simple 4 Patch Block, learn about fabric preparation, cutting, piecing techniques and ¼” seam accuracy, block pressing and seam nesting. No preparation needed.
Note: Bring a snack/meal as we will work through lunch. A refrigerator is available in the classroom. The classroom will remain available till 4:30 pm on each day of class. After the instructional class ends you are more than welcome to stay and work on your newly learned technique and use the design wall as needed.
- 1” – 1 ½” 3 Ring Binder (to hold your weekly instructional sheets and notes)
- Quality Quilters Cotton (First session - 2 Fat Quarters of contrasting colors. We will discuss the rest of your fabric needs for the entire series during your first class.)
- ¼” foot made for your sewing machine
- Sewing Machine in good working condition (with the manual and accessories)
- Spare Needles (Universal 80) and bobbins
- Small Scissors
- Neutral thread and full bobbin
- Seam ripper
- Rotary cutter and extra blade(s) (45MM preferred)
- Ruler - 6 ½” x 24” or similar
- 6 ½” Square Ruler
- Cutting mat
- Pressing mat
- Portable iron
- Best Press or a light spray starch
- All attendees are respectfully asked to refrain from wearing perfumes and scented lotions/oils due to allergy and olfactory sensitivities of some students and instructors.
- Additionally, must be 18 years or older to register unless otherwise approved by instructor in advance.
Classes and Events are Non-Refundable Unless:
- You are able to find another person to take your spot.
- You cancel 30 days prior to the Class/Event.
- The instructor cancels.